Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Don't Judge a Book by Its Color


This is the lesson I learned this week. I had heard about the book The Gentle Art of Domesticity by Jane Brockett on a few blogs awhile back and flipped through its pages one day at the bookstore. I was honestly put off by all the pink and orange that seem to dominate its pages. I set it back on the shelf without actually reading it.

A few days ago a friend mentioned reading it on her blog. Brenda and I usually like all the same things, so when I saw the book at the library last week I decided to check it out. I am glad I did.

I love it. Yes, it still has more orange and pink than I personally enjoy, but I love her thoughts and prose. I am also taking the time to look and study each picture on each page and appreciating each one in its turn.

I have been copying quotations from this and another couple of Highly Domestic Books I've been reading to share with everyone. Gee, more blog posts NOT involving moving! What a treat for us all! There is no new news on that front and that's all I can say at this time.

I am on the third computer of the week and have not taken any pictures since I got back from Phoenix as I know downloading them is too challenging given the computer situation. So, blog posts will be lacking my pictures for awhile.

Today is an at home day. Sweetheart is even working from home today as well. He is sitting across the table from me. The boys are playing on the floor at our feet and Mom is upstairs working in her office. It's cozy.

I've got a batch of dough for bread rising in the kitchen. I will toss it in the oven in a few minutes and get going on lunch. I finally broke down and had to unpack my mixer and mill after buying countless loaves of bread from the store. My, but decent bread sure has become expensive!

I was so used to my own routines and baking that I hadn't noticed how much bread we go through. We usually have it for both breakfast and lunch nearly everyday and sometimes for dinner. That's a lot of dough!

I enjoy making our breads. There is something so soothing about the process and I love the warmth of the dough in my hands as I knead it. Plus nothing beats the smell of fresh-baked bread.

Well, it is time to go for now. I am looking forward to having more ideas to share from all my reading over the next few days. I love the library, don't you?

BTW- Do check out Brenda's list of cozy books and movies for summer reading & viewing inspiration when you get the chance.

Also-Jane has her own blog, yarnstorm, you may enjoy.

Have a lovely day!

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

First off, certainly, you may come play any time!
I have put that book back for the very same reasons, but maybe I should give it another chance too, I am looking forward to the Highly Domestic Book posts, I *always* need inspiration!
Have fun bread baking!
Bonnie

Vicki in UT said...

When I had 3 surgeries in 2 years, one of the hard things was having to eat store-bought bread. And it was so expensive! Nothing compares to homemade bread.

Best wishes on your moving situation.
Vicki

Thia said...

I too am looking forward to the Highly Domestic Book Post.
Mmmm, fresh bread! It's been a long time since I've made any. I miss it. I might have to carve the time out next week. It really doesn't take that long, most of the time it does the work itself, like laundry.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin