Tuesday, July 03, 2012

A Fun Surprise!

I went out to the barn a little bit ago to get an egg to make mayonnaise.  I was bummed to see Pecksie off the nest.  She had been broody and we tucked two eggs under her to see what she'd do.  (We had stashed a bunch under her once before, but she wandered off a few days later.)  I had been thinking we might see some chicks in another week, or two, but it looks like today was the birthday!

There are two little chickies!  (Of course, now we wish we had stashed more under her.)  They look strong and healthy.  We moved her and the babies into the smaller pen area in the barn and got them everything they needed.  I hope they live.

It feels like a real farm again.  We actually have successfully produced (well, the chickens have) a second generation of animals.  And the garden is growing more than weeds.  It's growing A LOT of weeds, too, but there is a ton of food on its way!!!

And now I am off to hang twinkle lights and bunting in the little orchard where Sweetheart is making our fire pit.  I may have to stretch out in one of the hammocks, too.

5 comments:

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I hope they live! I love baby chicks. Baby pigs, too... but that's perhaps later? ;)

Bonnie said...

Oh what fun! We had a couple of batches of "mutt" chicks hatch when I was growing up, they were always so fun and cute!
Stretch out in a hammock for me- I'm too busy right now, and don't think I'd be able to get out of it anyway... : )

Kimberly said...

Brenda--We're waiting on the pig idea. Still recovering from the goats and COW. :) We will probably buy one in the fall and be makin' bacon.

Bonnie-Dear Sweet Friend, You can come get stuck in my hammocks any time. I'll bring you cold drinks and you can finally RELAX!!! I remember being *quite* pregnant with Cupcake and I sat in a fancy sling chair at the Bass Superstore. Sweetheart had to drag me out.

Bonnie K said...

I am so happy for you. Little chicks are the cutest. I am glad you are enjoying your summer.

BaileyZimmerman said...

Whoopppeeee what a great surprise!!!

Enjoy the firepit a and hammock!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin