Friday, April 08, 2011

Bird Brain

That's me.  Picked up the box of chickens from the neighbors' house last night.  We'd been told there would be 11-12 originally.  Then seven.  Then six.  Apparently one didn't make the journey to their house and they decided to keep more than they originally wanted.  No problem.

We put them in the pen in the barn last night and all was fine when I went to milk Bella this morning.  I decided to be nice and clean up some of the mess they had made, shutting the door, but not latching it as I was inside.

Yup,  they got out.  Luckily, I had already put Bella and Eve into their outside pen or I imagine it would have been worse.  Somehow.  Chickens squawking!!  Feathers flying!! And one apparently made it out of the picturesque window Bella enjoys looking out of that Sweetheart removed to fix.


Bedlam ensued.

By the time it was all said and done, I got five back in the pen.  Some swearing may have occurred in the process.

Where is number six?  Who knows.  I went walking around a bit looking and met a new neighbor who is probably still laughing at me.  She may still be hiding somewhere in the barn for all I know.  The chicken, not the neighbor.

The rest of them are just lucky I already have meat for dinner, or it might have all ended differently...

Go visit Farm Friend Friday for more adventures...

7 comments:

BaileyZimmerman said...

Got a good laugh..."The chicken, not the neighbor"!!

I would have thought it was ok that they wandered around. I thought they stayed close?
I remember heading into NY...going through Newark and bingo...there he was in all his glory. A rooster strutting down Main St.

Bonnie said...

Chuckle chuckle, um yes, 2 things to know about chicken chasing: some swearing inevitably occurs, and a big fishing net is a valuable tool. We almost always caught our renegade chickens with one when I was growing up.

The Vintage Farmhouse said...

Oh boy, laughed a lot but inside was thinking "oh my gosh am I going to go through this starting next week when the chickens are moved to their coop??"

Mandy said...

I had something similar happen last weekend but we managed to find our little escapees. Hopefully she'll show up soon! And I totally agree with the whole "ending might be different". I felt that way about the not-so-friendly cow we had. She might have been an expensive, rare, pure breed heritage breed but I figured she's still make a great steak!

Teresa said...

That sounds like quite the madcap adventure! Hope you find number six!

Unknown said...

Hello Kimberly!
Thanks for entering the farmgirl/farmfriend friday hop...This is a cute post! Chickens can be so entertaining. :)
Deb

Kimberly said...

Nine days later we caught here!
http://kimberlys-cup.blogspot.com/2011/04/woohooo.html

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin