Saturday, March 26, 2011

1,000 Gifts

I was given a copy of One Thousand Gifts:  A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp for my birthday.  I've been reading Ann's blog, A Holy Experience, for years.  Her words and pictures time and time again hit me hard, but in the most loving way.  Even yesterday's post had me wondering if she had been in my kitchen that morning.  I was living what she was writing.  And that happens often.

Her lyrical style of writing flows with how my mind rolls.  The beauty and poetry of her words make my heart alternately sing and break.   She is able to put into words, and more beautifully than I could, my own thoughts.  Reading her posts makes me examine my life, sometimes completely redirect a day, and always turn my heart and mind back to Christ.


I'm not even done reading the book and can't wait to read it again.  I know that this book has really taken off, even to the point of being in the top 10 of the NY Times Bestsellers List.  I am not one to read whatever is popular at that moment, or jump into the latest trend, "Christian" or otherwise.  This one is different.  This one makes me want to buy a copy for everyone I know.

I cannot even put into words how much this book means to me.  I am sure I'll be writing more about it in the coming weeks.  Go watch this little video to see what it's all about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am planning on ordering this book soon...her entry on the pressure cooker...moved me a great deal.

mountain mama said...

i just started reading it and have really enjoyed it!!

i agree, everyone needs a copy!

happy sunday!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin