Saturday, June 23, 2007

Tea on Tuesday


This Tuesday evening I will host a tea party for a friend's birthday. I think we'll have about 10 of us. She is expecting only one other friend and myself, so we'll have a bit of a surprise for her.

Because all of us belong to the same MOPS group we decided to have the tea in the evening so that sitters/Dads are available. She may or may not bring her newborn which is fine, but I didn't think we could handle the 20+ kids that these Moms have as well.

So, I am trying to plan a menu that works for evening. I think that I'll pretty much just do what I'd normally do for an Afternoon Tea, just serve it at 7:00 p.m. Hope the Tea Etiquette Police don't get me. :)

I may throw in an extra savory dish, like a quiche, to make it more substantial. I don't know. What do you think? What would you expect at that time? Also, since it's a Birthday, should I make a cake, or would a Trifle be enough? (I recently found the cutest hand-painted trifle bowl!)

Menu
Assorted Tea Sandwiches

Quiche (?)

Scones with Jam, Curds, and Cream

Tea Breads

Fruit Tartlets

Ginger Cookies

Chocolate Pecan Toffee
Trifle (and/or) Cake

Tea and Punch


I've started baking the things that can be frozen like the bread for sandwiches, pumpkin bread and the cookies already. I figure if I do a few things each day I'll be ready for Tuesday evening without collapsing. Help me out with any suggestions or ideas you have, please!

Picture found at AllPosters.com

6 comments:

Jodi said...

Hi Kimberly! :o)

If I were attending a 7:00 pm tea, I would probably not eat beforehand. So I would lean towards either adding the quiche (or something else savory), or just making sure your tea sandwiches are *substantial* (filling and/or plenty of them).

I think that a trifle would be *great*. It won't duplicate a cake if she has one at home; and it's just kind of fun because it's different! Those little sparkler candles would be very cute sticking out of a trifle - if you can find them. :o)

Sounds like you have a wonderful evening planned. Your menu looks scrumptious!! I look forward to your post telling us how it goes. :o)

Kelli said...

I think Jodi gave great advice! I also would not eat dinner before arriving. Your menu looks wonderful..yum!! You'll have to let us know how it goes!
Kelli

Bonnie said...

I agree too, and wondered if one of your Victoria tea bokks, or If Teacups Could Talk mentioned what to serve at an evening tea. (just incase you were still wondering)

Kimberly said...

Thanks ladies! I've asked one of the ladies who's coming and wants to bring something to do a quiche. Ill also check ITCT for recipes as suggested.
Hopefully, I'll remember to take pictures this time (and not delete them!) so that I can post them.
Miss Bonnie-What are you doing up this time of night? :)

Jodi said...

Just thinking of you and your party tonight and thought I'd pop in and wish you well. Prayed for you this morning .. to have strength and energy to get it all done and still enjoy yourself tonight!

What a blessing you will be to your friend! :o)

Kimberly said...

You are all so wonderful!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin