Saturday, March 31, 2007

Home

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful,
or believe to be beautiful."

~William Morris

This quotation has helped to define how I decorate and make our house a home. My favorite things are those that are both beautiful and useful.
As you look around your home, do you see things that are neither lovely, nor have a purpose? Those may be the things you no longer need. Of course, remember that some things are useful or beautiful to other members of your family, even if you do not find them particularly attractive. In other words, we should be respectful of others' tastes as well!
This idea has really helped me in getting rid of things that are just "stuff". It's very freeing. I've been thinking of ways to apply this idea to other areas of life as well, including how I spend my time. Am I spending time on something lovely or useful, or am I just wasting it on "stuff" that seems to accumulate?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is such a great quote. I need to print it out and post it prominently for awhile! Maybe it would inspire me to de-clutter!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin