Friday, October 27, 2006

Pumpkin Madeleines

Pumpkin Madeleines

2 eggs
2/3 cup granulated sugar
10 Tbl melted butter
1 cup flour
2 Tbl pumpkin pulp (canned or fresh, cooked & mashed)
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
dash of salt

Beat eggs and sugar for about 5 minutes until light & fluffy. Beat 1 cup flour into the egg mixture at low speed. Slowly beat in butter. Beat in remaining ingredients until well-blended. Let stand at room temperature for one hour.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray the madeleine molds with cooking spray. Fill prepared molds with batter, using about 1 1/2 tablespoons for each. Do not spread batter out in molds, it will spread as they bake. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans at once and cool on a rack. Madeleines are best eaten within a few hours of baking. Or, wrap and freeze for up to eight weeks. Yield: about 20 madeleines.
Recipe from Victoria Magazine, October 1988


Medeleines famed appearance in literature comes from Marcel Proust in Remembrance of Things Past wherein he immortalized the little shell-shaped cookie.

The Cookie
Many years had elapsed during which nothing of Combray, save what was comprised in the theatre and the drama of my going to bed there, had any existence for me, when one day in winter, on my return home, my mother, seeing that I was cold, offered me some tea, a thing I did not ordinarily take. I declined at first, and then, for no particular reason, changed my mind. She sent for one of those squat, plump little cakes called "petites madeleines," which look as though they had been moulded in the fluted valve of a scallop shell.
And soon, mechanically, dispirited after a dreary day with the prospect of a depressing morrow, I raised to my lips a spoonful of the tea in which I had soaked a morsel of the cake. No sooner had the warm liquid mixed with the crumbs touched my palate than a shudder ran through me and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary thing that was happening to me. An exquisite pleasure had invaded my senses, something isolated, detached, with no suggestion of its origin.
And at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory - this new sensation having had on me the effect which love has of filling me with a precious essence; or rather this essence was not in me it was me.
I had ceased now to feel mediocre, contingent, mortal. Whence could it have come to me, this all-powerful joy? I sensed that it was connected with the taste of the tea and the cake, but that it infinitely transcended those savours, could, no, indeed, be of the same nature. Whence did it come? What did it mean? How could I seize and apprehend it?
I drink a second mouthful, in which I find nothing more than in the first, then a third, which gives me rather less than the second. It is time to stop; the potion is losing it magic. It is plain that the truth I am seeking lies not in the cup but in myself. The drink has called it into being, but does not know it, and can only repeat indefinitely, with a progressive diminution of strength, the same message which I cannot interpret, though I hope at least to be able to call it forth again and to find it there presently, intact and at my disposal, for my final enlightenment. I put down the cup and examine my own mind. It alone can discover the truth.
But how: What an abyss of uncertainty, whenever the mind feels overtaken by itself; when it, the seeker, is at the same time the dark region through which it must go seeking and where all its equipment will avail it nothing. Seek? More than that: create. It is face to face with something which does not yet exist, to which it alone can give reality and substance, which it alone can bring into the light of day.
And I begin to ask myself what it could have been, this unremembered state which brought with it no logical proof, but the indisputable evidence, of its felicity, its reality, and in whose presence other states of consciousness melted and vanished. I decide to attempt to make it reappear. I retrace my thoughts to the moment at which I drank the first spoonful of tea. I rediscover the same state, illuminated by no fresh light. I ask my mind to make one further effort, to bring back once more the fleeting sensation. And so that nothing may interrupt it in its course I shut out every obstacle, every extraneous idea, I stop my ears and inhibit all attention against the sound from the next room. And then, feeling that my mind is tiring itself without having any success to report, I compel it for a change to enjoy the distraction which I have just denied it, to think of other things, to rest refresh itself before making a final effort. And then for the second time I clear an empty space in front of it; I place in position before my mind's eye the still recent taste of that first mouthful, and I feel something start within me, something that leaves its resting-place and attempts to rise, something that has been embedded like an anchor at a great depth; I do not know yet what it is, but I can feel it mounting slowly; I can measure the resistance, I can hear the echo of great spaces traversed.
Undoubtedly what is thus palpitating in the depths of my being must be the image, the visual memory which, being linked to that taste, is trying to follow it into my conscious mind. But its struggles are too far off, too confused and chaotic; scarcely can I perceive the neutral glow into which the elusive whirling medley of stirred-up colours is fused, and I cannot distinguish its form, cannot invite it, as the one possible interpreter, to translate for me the evidence of its contemporary, its inseparable paramour, the taste, cannot ask it to inform me what special circumstance is in question, from what period in my past life.
Ahh, the power of a cookie! Isn't it amazing how tastes and smells can transport our memories?

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Ooh...these sound yummy! I may have to dig out my madeleine pan this weekend. :0)
Kelli

Kimberly said...

I think next time, I will add more pumpkin and/or pumpkin pie spice. It wasn't as pronounced a flavor as I'd hoped.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin