Thursday, May 10, 2007

This Week


I am amazed that it is already Thursday evening! It's been a very busy week here.
I've spent most of my time working on a few big projects.
I created a scrapbook for my stepmother for Mothers Day. As her mother just passed away last month I wanted to make a special gift for her on this first Mothers Day without her mother. I am my own hardest critic, but I was pleased with the final result of the book. I had planned on taking pictures, but was too tired when I finished the book at midnight on Tuesday. We mailed it Wednesday morning in the hope that it will arrive in time.
As a part of the memorial service for Eleanor her four children pulled together quite a collection of family pictures going back to when their mother had been a little girl. She was almost 94. They gave the pictures to someone who made a memorial video to show during the service. My Dad secretly gave me a copy of the video on disk. Sweetheart did his computer magic and saved the pictures for me to get prints made. I did and used those for the scrapbook. I talked to my stepmother's sister on Sunday and she shared all the information about the pictures with me as we each watched the videos on our computers at the same time. I took notes and was able to add information and names to the pictures in the book.
It took a lot of time, but was fun to make as well. I hope it will be something Eileen treasures for years to come and may even pass on to a niece or nephew someday. I only met Eleanor once, but I know she was loved and will be missed.
I was able to spend a few hours in my garden the other afternoon as my mom came over to watch Pumpkin so I could work out there. I was so happy to get to spend time out there in good weather. I didn't get the garden really taken down for winter last fall as the harvest time was right while Pumpkin was in his cast. I picked all the herbs and vegetables, but didn't really do the maintenance I usually do so I have a big mess out there now. Here's picture from a few summers ago when it looked nice. This was apparently before pregnancy and babies! I am planning to try and keep it simple this year, but I've got a mess of weeds to get out first. I've learned to not really plant anything until Mothers Day because we still often have snow in May. I was surprised to find some herbs and my lettuces I planted last year up and going. I picked a bunch of them for dinner last night.

I was hoping to have Sweetheart roto-till for me this weekend. However, when he went out Tuesday night to get the lawn mower out of the shed he was in for a surprise. I guess it will be a few more weeks of pulling everything by hand and waiting to plant seeds outside of the beds!

I am imagining this is the Robin's wife from The Secret Garden. What do you think? We're planning to keep the nest when she's done with it! (Future homeschooling lessons abound!)

I ended up hosting my Bunco group last night in our home. I was supposed to be the hostess in January, but ended up canceling because that was the day I thought I might be miscarrying. It turned out to be apparently nothing as I am constantly being kicked and gaining weight rapidly at 25 weeks along! Our group meets once a month and whomever is the hostess is in charge of food and beverages. The gal who was supposed to host canceled on Monday, so I volunteered to have everyone here.

Due to several others canceling I ended up making dinner for 10. We had spaghetti and meatballs (100+), garden salad, bruschetta, stuffed mushrooms, garlic bread, toffee and a three-layer carrot cake. I made the bread and toffee on Tuesday and spent Wednesday rolling (and rolling) meatballs, baking cakes, and generally cooking up a storm. We ended up having a lot of fun with plenty to eat!

By the time that ended and Sweetheart and I washed up I collapsed into bed hardly able to move. We had Bible Study this morning and both Pumpkin and I took long naps this afternoon. It's all caught up with me. I'm going to post this and head off to bed. We'll go to see the midwife in the morning for our regular appointment.

All in all, it's been a much busier week than I've gone accustomed to. It's been filled with many wonderful things. I am tired, though. I plan on taking tomorrow slow and trying to recoup. Of course, there is a growing pile of laundry to tackle...

Here's picture from the weekend before last. Grandma babysat and Sweetheart and I drove up to the mountains for a few hours. We took a nice stroll as I cannot hike these days. This baby is sitting so high I have trouble breathing just on level ground at our regular altitude.

We found this fun little treasure at the Forest Service Ranger place. He'll grow into it! We were only gone a few hours, but missed Pumpkin so much. It was time to have time with just Sweetheart, but I think next time we'll put Pumpkin in the backpack and take him along. He is sooo much fun!
Pumpkin & Sweetheart

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hmm, maybe you should re-name your blog the Robins Nest! I'm so glad you weren't miscarrying. I lost a baby a little over a year ago, and even though I didn't know I was pregnant 'til things got a little strange, it was still very hard once I did know.
I'm so anxoius(sp?) to get our garden in, I'm hoping to get some seeds planted today in pots, but Brady is teething, and rather unhappy so we'll see.
Have a lovely weekend!

Jodi said...

What a wonderful gift for your stepmother, a treasure indeed! It is a challenge to garden when you're pregnant and/or nursing (just in a different way). I guess Mrs. Robin thinks gardening time is challenging, too - lol! :o) It sounds like you had a lovely day out with your hubby. Pumpkin is quite fetching in his moose ears! :o)

Kelli said...

What a wonderful post, Kimberly! The scrapbook sounds lovely and I'm sure it will be treasured! Your bunco nights sounds like so much fun. I have played it once before and wish I could have visited and had some of your yummy food! I had to giggle when I saw where the bird had built it's nest. What a sweet mama, I'm so glad to hear you will be waiting until she is finished with it. I also enjoyed seeing the picture of your garden. I never got much gardening done with I was pregnant either. Glad you are feeling well!
Kelli

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin