I cut off the sleeve and since it was just a bit too short I had to cut up above the shoulder seam. That is the diagonal seam you see near the top. I sewed that cut seam so that I had a rectangular tube. Then I just sewed the bottom of the sleeve for the base. I was concerned the top part might fray as it the sweater didn't felt up as much as I had hoped so I folded it under and sewed it with a zig-zag stitch.
I then raided my stash of trims and sewed on the crochet lace piece I had and two pieces of velcro to fasten it closed at the top. I added the button just because I like it. I would have probably just used the button for closing, but I don't know how to sew a button hole.
I am linking up to a bunch of Blog Hops today as I can sneak in a few moments here and there: