Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Writing


I love C.S. Lewis' writings, even the ones I have to read again and again to grasp. I was fortunate in college to take an entire class on him. It was wonderful, challenging, humorous and sad by turns, but isn't that life in general?

Here are some of his thoughts on writing.

"Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I have found out long ago."

"What you want is practice, practice, practice. It doesn't matter what we write (at least this is my view) at our age, so long as we write continually as well as we can. I feel that every time I write a page wither of prose or of verse, with real effort, even if it's thrown into the fire next minute, I am so much further on."

"I am sure that some are born to write as trees are born to bear leaves: for these, writing is a necessary mode of their own development. If the impulse to write survives the hope of success, then one is among these. If not, then the impulse was a best only pardonable vanity, and it will certainly disappear when the hope is withdrawn."

~from The Letters of C.S. Lewis to Arthur Greeves

Graphic: Courtesy of Allposters.com Pendent by Jean-Michel Labat

1 comment:

Proverbs3122 said...

I love those, Kimberly! I have a Word document where I keep my favorite quotes. I will have to add those. One day I hope to compile a book with all the ones I've collected over the years.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin