Sunday, May 04, 2008

Scones! Scones! Scones!

I love scones, don't you? They are so quick and easy to make with this lovely recipe from Emilie Barnes' If Teacups Could Talk which just happens to be my all-time favorite tea book. This is her Basic Scone Recipe. It is wonderful just as it is. It is also wonderful when you use it as a base and add your favorite things. I've added everything from dried cranberries and orange peel, to chocolate chips, to fresh strawberries, to candied ginger. I had posted another scone recipe awhile back, but realized that I had mixed two recipes up and this is the one I usually use.

I love this recipe because I can have hot, fresh scones in 20 minutes with ingredients I always have on hand. I've seen some other recipes that seem to always call for one thing I don't have like a special flour, or whipping cream. While I love whipping cream it is expensive and so not good for you!

Here it is:


2 cups flour

1 Tbl baking powder

2 Tbl sugar

1/2 tsp salt

6 Tbl butter

1/2 cup milk or buttermilk

lightly beaten egg


Mix the dry ingredients. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. (Add any additions at this time.) Make a well in the center and pour in the milk. Mix until dough clings together and is a bit sticky, but do not overmix. Turn out dough onto a floured surface and shape into a 6-8 inch round about 1 1/2 inches think. Quickly cut into pie wedges or use a large biscuit or cookie cutter to cut out circles or shapes. The secret of tender scones is a minimum of handling. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, being sure the sides of the scones don't touch one another. Brush with beaten egg for a shiny, beautiful scone. Sprinkle with sugar, if desired. Bake at 425 degrees for 10-20 minutes, or until light brown.

Yum!! I think I'm going to whip some up as soon as I post this. We've got some fresh strawberries to serve along side with lemon curd. We all love lemon curd, even Pumpkin who asks for it on his toast in the mornings. Cute! He also thinks scones are pretty wonderful, too!
I think I'll sweep off the porch while they bake so we can enjoy an impromptu porch tea after naptime. Of course, Pumpkin will have milk instead of tea and probably eat with a scone in one hand and a tractor in the other.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin