Thursday, January 25, 2007

Thursday Thought


Friendship is born at that moment
when one person says to another,

"What! You too? I thought I was the only one!"

C. S. Lewis



I love this quote. Have you experienced this in your own life? I did in the second conversation I had with Sweetheart. The first conversation hadn't gone as well as I was a bit put off by being addressed by a strange gentleman with whom I had no acquaintance.
While that may sound really old-fashioned, you'd need to realize I had just return from a year in China where I didn't have a lot of people, especially men, to speak with socially in English. I was still experiencing reverse culture shock pretty bad and I was attending the event (a Singles Bible Study) we met at with a longtime male friend.
Putting that aside, from the second conversation I knew I'd found someone pretty special who was worth getting to know better. Within a year we were married! That was 8 1/2 years ago and we grow closer together everyday.

"Meeting" the people who visit this blog has been a bit like Lewis' idea for me. I feel like I've met some true kindred spirits in this little corner of the world. For that, I am truly thankful.

5 comments:

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Yes, that is exactly the way I feel about my favorite blogs (and the people who visit mine).

It is so easy to feel like Elijah and feel we are all alone. Then we get online and visit other people who are so like us. Wonderful!

Don't ya' just love C. S. Lewis?

Kelli said...

Such a wonderful quote. I think you and I are kindred spirits, Kimberly. :0)
Hugs,
Kelli

Kimberly said...

I would agree. BTW- I have a little package for you to send out soon. It's about halfway done. I still need to work on the letter, though.

Isabella in the 21st Century said...

I too love this Lewis quote. I've just finished reading "The Inklings" by Humphrey Carpenter and it seems that Lewis was a loyal and generous friend. If you haven't read it I would highly recommend it, my DH bought it for me for Christmas! Which brings me to the second part of your post, my DH and I met on the first day of University and have been inseperable ever since. We discovered that we had been to the same history and sociology conferences and one or two of the same concerts whilst we were still studying A level, but we didn't meet until university. I firmly believe that God brought us together, I really do!

Kimberly said...

I agree with you Brenda! It's opened up a whole new world for me.

Plain & Simple- I'll have to try and find that book. Congrats to you and your hubby. God blesses us in amazing ways!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin