Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Scones

Scones are wonderful. I know they have a reputation for being hard to make, but nothing could be further from the truth! I don't bother with scone mixes because they are so easy to make from scratch. Apparently, the less you handle them the better. I've used Emilie Barnes' recipe for years. It's found in both of her books, If Teacups Could Talk and The Twelve Teas of Christmas. (By the way, if you are interested in learning more about tea, ITCT is personally my favorite tea book--and I have A LOT of books on tea! It would make a lovely Christmas gift for yourself, or a friend.)
As I am gearing up for my Christmas Tea this weekend, I thought I'd do a few postings. I should have a final count of ladies tomorrow, so I'll better know what to prepare. Until then, go get a cup of tea and make a batch of scones!
I halve this recipe when I just want a few, but I've also quadrupled it many times for big tea parties. I make them in different shapes, by hand or with cookies cutters, and I've been known to add everything from chocolate chips to strawberries, to lemon balm, and more. It's a very forgiving recipe and it also works at high altitude. I just adjust the baking time depending on the sizes of scones I am making.



Emilie's Scones

2 cups flour
1 TBL baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 TBL sugar
6 TBL butter
2 eggs, beaten
1/3-1/2 cup milk, cream, buttermilk, or half & half

Combine the dry ingredients. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. I n a separate bowl, combine the eggs and milk until well-blended. Stir everything together until moistened, but don't overmix. Divide the dough into two 8-inch rounds on a greased baking sheet. Cut the rounds with a sharp knife into 8 wedges each. Brush the tops with milk and sprinkle on a little more sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until the scones are golden brown.



Sigh. It makes me want to go bake some right now! But, I will prepare them on Saturday and bake them Sunday just before the ladies arrive so they will stay warm. They are delicious, but they don't last long. I'd recommend freezing any leftovers, or just eating them all up! Have fun!

My wheels are turning...I think I'll sprinkle the red decorating sugar on them right before I put them in the oven instead of plain sugar so they look more festive...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love both of these books. I've never made scones-too afraid. If you say they're easy, I'll try them someday.
I hope your tea party is a great success! Sounds very fun. :)
JoannainCa.

Kelli said...

I enjoy making scones too, Kimberly. I'm going to make your recipe next. I suppose I'll have to make lemon curd to go with them. ;0) I love your idea of using red sprinkles on top, how pretty for Christmas. I'll bet your Christmas tea will be lovely, I can't wait to hear more about it!
Kelli

Kelli said...

Oh, I have a question. How do you store them until the next day? In the fridge? Do you cut them out first? Thank you!
Kelli

Kimberly said...

I usually do cut them first, but I wait to do the wash & sugar steps. I just put plastic wrap on them, usually already on the cookie sheet, and put them in the oven overnight. Have fun!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin